Why did my download fail?
There can be many reasons that your download could have failed. Check these reasons:
- Check your internet connection is active.
- If you have a firewall on your computer, check that WxDownload Manager Pro has permission to access the internet through your firewall. See your firewall's settings to do this.
- Check that the URL that you entered in the download job is correct. Click the "Check URL" button in the Add Job dialog or Download Wizard and check the response. Try creating a Single File download job and then download again. If it fails, go to the Job Conversation View and view the full conversation between WxDownload Manager Pro and the web server. It may give you a good idea as to why the download is failing.
- The web site may not allow multiple download splits/segments for a file. Try choosing one split for the download job in the Download Settings.
- The web site may not allow multiple connections from one computer. Try reducing the number of connections used by WxDownload Manager Pro in the Job Queue View to 1.
- The web site may check that a valid referer is being used. Go to the Download Settings dialog for the download job and enter a referrer URL. Typically, the referrer URL is the web page that the download link is listed on.
- The web site may be busy or congested so your download may be timing out. Try increasing the connection timeout and receive timeout setting for the download job. Go to the Download Settings for the download job to increase these values.
- The web site you are trying to download from may not be active. Try again later, or schedule your download for a less busy time.
Why did my Windows streaming audio or video download job fail?
Your download job could fail for these reasons:
- The streaming media may be protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). You cannot download this content using WxDownload Manager Pro. You can use WxDownload Manager Pro Audio/Video Capture to record the audio or video as it plays in your media player.
- The protocol may be incorrectly set. Try setting the protocol to "mms://" for the URL (instead of "http://"). This tells WxDownload Manager Pro to treat the URL as a Windows media download.
- If the file extension of the streaming media URL is .asx, .wax or .wvx, then this tells you that the file is a Windows media meta-file. Meta-files are small XML files that contain the actual location (or URL) of the streaming media that you want. WxDownload Manager Pro can read these meta-files and download the contents. Make sure you download the meta-file as a site download (rather than a single file download), and WxDownload Manager Pro will find and download all URLs within the meta-file.
Does WxDownload Manager Pro resume broken downloads?
Yes. If your download failed for some reason or you have stopped a job, just select the download job again and click the Download/Resume button. WxDownload Manager Pro will start the download from where it left off.
My download failed, but WxDownload Manager Pro does not resume the download from where failed. It downloads the whole file again. Why?
Not all web servers support resuming. WxDownload Manager Pro will check if it supports resuming and if it does not, it will start the download from the beginning. Also, if you are using a proxy server or firewall, it can affect the ability to resume downloads. Check your proxy server/firewall documentation.
I use a firewall. Can I still use WxDownload Manager Pro?
Yes. Make sure that you have added WxDownload Manager Pro into the permitted application list in your firewall's settings so it can access the internet and download files.
I use a proxy server. Can I still use WxDownload Manager Pro?
Yes. Go to the Options (HTTP Page) and Options (FTP Page) to enter your proxy server details.
A web site does not like many simultaneous connections to it. How can I have a control the number of connection that WxDownload Manager Pro uses?
Create a Site Rule using the Options (Site Rules) dialog that specifies the maximum number of connections.
How do I set the default download folder?
Go to the Options (Downloading Page) dialog box and enter your preferred folder.
How do I enter user names and passwords for web sites that I download from regularly?
Go to the Options (Site Rules) dialog box and enter user names and passwords for your favorite web sites.
How do I set the default user name and password WxDownload Manager Pro uses to login to FTP sites?
WxDownload Manager Pro will use the user name 'anonymous'. You can set the password in the Options (FTP Page) dialog box.
Why do I keep getting prompted for the user name and password for an FTP site - even after I entered them correctly?
If you have correctly entered the user name and password for an FTP site, but keep getting prompted when downloading multiple files from an FTP site, the reason may be that the FTP server only supports one connection at a time. Try setting the number of connections in the Job Queue View to 1 and choosing one split for files in the Advanced Settings dialog box for the job.
Can I automatically check my downloaded files for viruses?
Yes. Go to the Options (After Download Page) dialog box and specify your virus checker and the file types to check.
How do I open files that I have downloaded?
Select the download job and click the Open toolbar button. This will open the file in your default associated application. For example, a downloaded web site will be opened in your web browser.
I cannot find my downloaded files on my computer?
Select the download job and click the Go To toolbar button to view the folder containing the files for the download job.
I don't like that WxDownload Manager Pro always automatically adds files to categories. How do I stop this?
Go to the Options (Categories Page) dialog box and uncheck the Use Auto Categorization check box.
I don't like that WxDownload Manager Pro always creates sub-folders. How do I stop this?
Go to the Options (Downloading Page) dialog box and uncheck the Create sub-folders check box.